Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Photographing Kids & Pets

At one point or another we've heard that you should never work with children and animals, at least that's what they say in Hollywood.

2009_1111_Herman-20
Today, I was doing a shoot with a child and two dogs. I've have photographed them before and know the family very well. I consider the boy my nephew and he refers to me as Uncle Dave and the puppies get excited anytime I come over.

2009_1111_Herman-12
Because of the rainy weather, the shoot had to be done indoors. Today the puppies were not being very cooperative. While we could get one dog to sit, the other wouldn't. As soon as we got the other to sit, the other would get up and walk away.

2009_1111_Herman-35
Only towards the end was I able to get 2 shots with both dogs.

2009_1111_Herman-40

Visually, I'm not crazy about any of these shots. Although I was able to get some nice expressions and moments, I don't feel it shows off what I'm capable as a photographer. I'm going to do a reshoot and push myself to be more creative. I can do better.

For those interested, images were shot at ISO 100, f/5.6 using the 18-55 kit lens. I used 2 speed lights (Canon 580EXII, 430EXII) and 42" shoot through umbrellas triggered with Pocketwizards. Left light was at 1/2 power, right light was at 1/4.


If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.


No comments: