Friday, December 4, 2009

Brother & Sister | davem photography

I met Randy & Rebecca, a brother & sister, for a portrait session in Roswell.
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-1

We met at 1pm and it was a bit windy. The sun usually provides harsh light at this time of day, so I had to find ways to work around it.

The easiest thing to do is to find some shade or create some of your own. I started out with a scrim and it diffused the harsh light. I was also having a bit of trouble with the background getting blown out. So I switched to using a flash to help knock down the ambient.

Rebecca and Randy wanted to get some photos for their mother for the holidays. Here are some of my favorites.
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-37
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-42
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-109
I really like this one above from this shoot. I love how the shrubs frame Rebecca & Randy. The flash with a shoot through umbrella is to the right hidden behind the shrubs.

I was using a 60" reflective umbrella, but the the wind was starting to turn it inside out. So I switched to shooting through the umbrella, but wind was still an issue and was knocking it down. So I switched to bare bulb and used an omni bounce diffuser, not the best solution, but better than harsh sunlight or straight flash.
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-133
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-129
2009_1129_Rebecca_Randy-76

Despite the wind, I had a great time shooting and think I captured some great images. What a thoughtful gift for Mom. The holidays are just around the corner, so don't procrastinate if you're getting the family together for the family christmas card. Photos make great gifts as well so book a session now.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: