Wednesday, November 10, 2010

On Assignment : Light The Night

Last month I was asked to help photograph and document the Light The Night event for the Georgia Chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Light The Night Walk Events are evenings filled with inspiration. During this leisurely walk, walkers carry illuminated balloons representing how cancer has affected them.


The panoramic above doesn't really capture the size of the event and the huge crowd that came out.


I walked around to capture photos of groups and individuals, but I was moved by attending the memorial service. I stood off to one side and played the role of photojournalist. Individuals in attendance were asked to take a rose, walk up to the microphone and give the name and relationship of the individual that lost their battle with cancer.

































My heart broke hearing the names as tears were shed and as victims were remembered. I especially remember a woman that had just lost her mother only 2 weeks prior to the event. I felt awkward documenting this event, but I remained respectful and stood to the side out of the way.

Despite the memorial service, it was still a very uplifting event. Over $2 million were raised for research, educational and family support.

Participants lined up for the walk with their balloons and banners. Many walked for loved ones lost to cancer and commemorated their live with names on banners and shirts.

































If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: