Wednesday, September 7, 2011

On Assignment: Achieve Kids Tri

I know, I haven't written a blog in a couple weeks. I've fallen behind, but there's been a bit of work that's been taking up some of my time. I've got a list of items to write about, so let me get started with a quick and easy post.

Back in June I was asked to photograph an event for Achieve Kids Tri, a non-profit organization that helps under-privileged and at-risk youth enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle. The kids were part of a week long camp and on this day, they were going to have Jeff Galloway as a guest speaker.
If you're a runner or have ever thought about running, then there's a good chance you recognize the name. Jeff Galloway was a member of the 1972 US Olympic team in Munich. He has also written several books on marathon training and writes a monthly column for Runner's World magazine.


I arrived early and had the rare pleasure of not only meeting Jeff Galloway, but listening in on a conversation with another volunteer. They talked about the Munich Olympic games and also discussed what it was like in East Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall.
There is so much history to be learned from those that have actually lived through it. So many experiences that can not be learned or appreciated through reading books. I listened and photographed this discussion until the kids showed up in class.

Jeff started his talk to the kids by telling his story growing up and how he got involved in sports and later how he became a member of the Olympic team.


I'm not sure if these kids knew the significance of talking to a former Olympian, but the adults were listening intently.  In time, I think they'll appreciate the opportunity to have met Jeff Galloway. He's is such a nice and down to earth kind of guy. If I recall from his talk, he still runs a marathon each month. Don't be surprised if you see him and his wife running along side you on your next marathon.

Below is my favorite photo of the day. I converted it to black & white. Something about the history discussed and the 1972 Olympics Games shirt he's wearing make the black & white appropriate.

I've been going back and forth on whether I'll run a marathon this year. My training has me running 18 miles before my next half ironman. I think looking back at this assignment will give me the extra push I need to tackle the 26.2 mile distance. Thanks for the inspiration Jeff Galloway.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: