Monday, September 19, 2011

On Assignment: RE Magazine

I recently had two assignments for RE Magazine and it reminded me that I never blogged about this assignment when it got published. This assignment was the cover story, so naturally I got the cover shot, although that's not always the case.
This shoot was challenging for a couple reasons. First of all we needed to reschedule because she had fractured her foot while running. Which led to the next challenge, I needed to shoot around her foot brace.


Luckily she could stand on her own for a short amount of time without the use of crutches. I would set my lights first and get some test shots in before asking her to stand. This shoot had to move quickly.
First shot was rather easy. We needed a team photo and the conference room provided a nice location where everyone could sit. I tried a couple others outdoors, but with it being 90º outside, that really wasn't a great option without any shade.

The next location was at one of the listings and luckily there was a spot with some shade.
This has become the standard realtor shot in front of the house with the for sale sign. Not one of my favorites, but it's part of the assignment.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I try to capture a different aspect of the subjects life that may include hobbies or other activities that may contribute to the story. As a first time mom, her life revolved around her daughter.
One of their favorite activities is baking cookies together. I was able to capture a few shots, but as we all know babies can be uncooperative at times and become camera shy. She turned away and didn't want any part of making cookies. Luckily she warmed up after a few minutes and I got this shot.
I also needed to get a cover shot and there was plenty of shade around her home where she could stand. I used my 70-200 mm ƒ/2.8 to get a shallow depth of field and soften up the background.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I just finished another 2 assignments for RE Magazine. Once that issue is published, I'll post images from those assignments.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: