Wednesday, August 18, 2010

GOYA - Athletic Self Portaits

I'm not one to jump in front of a camera, but every once in a while you have to be your own model just to test out some ideas. Besides, it's about that time to update my Facebook profile image.
2010_0813_Self_Portrait-17a
I'm actually competing in my 2nd triathlon this weekend and sports psychologist have written to visualize yourself having a great race. As a photographer I needed to take it a step further and see if I could make myself look like a triathlete.


I've had some ideas floating around and I wanted to give them a try. I still have more ideas, but they will require a bit more gear and some assistants. I kept it simple using a 3 light setup.

As you can see from the diagram above, I used 2 430EXII with Honl Speed Grids for the sides. Placing them slightly behind me and pointed toward my back so that I'd get a nice rim of light and separation from the black background. The main light was a 580EXII in a Wescott 28" Apollo Softbox. I kept the power on the 430EXII set at 1/16. The 580EXII was set to 1/2 power.

2010_0813_Self_Portrait-41
I wanted a shot where the swim goggles would go completely white from the reflection of the soft box. I moved the soft box so that it was directly over the camera and then tilted my head until I got the shot I wanted.

Later I changed into a triathlon specific suit and was going to try to do 3/4 length shots. As I did some test shots to make sure my side lights were positioned properly, I turned off the 580EXII in the softbox. I actually liked the more dramatic results and came up with this shot below.
2010_0813_Self_Portrait-49a
This is one of the reasons I love to experiment with lighting techniques. You never know what you'll get and it might surprise you. It's a great learning experience and another look I can try in future sessions.

I then tried a series with the 580EXII with the soft box. I didn't like it at 1/2 power as I was really liking the dramatic look and shadows, but I wanted to see a little detail in the shadows and still retain some of the dramatic look.
2010_0813_Self_Portrait-63
2010_0813_Self_Portrait-53
I set the 580EXII at 1/16 power to bring out more details from the shadows in the face and arm.

I also used the same setup for a cycling shot.
2010_0813_Self_Portrait-80

I've got an idea to do a triptych, combining images representing the swim, bike & run. I couldn't do it this time since it's a bit more difficult to run in a small space and trigger your camera, even with a self timer.

I used a Hi-pass filter sharpening technique in Photoshop and even did some cropping for composition to finish off the final images. I also used a spray bottle on myself to add the water detail.

I've never really considered myself an athlete, just someone that ran or cycled for exercise and recreation. This past April I joined the Atlanta Triathlon Club to train with and achieve a goal to complete a triathlon. Not only did I complete a triathlon, but I'm competing in a second one this Saturday in Peachtree City and looking at doing another 2 before the end of the year. Next years goals are to step up  to Olympic distance and even a Half Ironman. I am not just an athlete, but a triathlete and after looking at these images I look like one. If you've ever thought of doing a triathlon, consider joining the Atlanta Triathlon Club, it's a great group of individuals and coaches that will guide you into finishing your first triathlon.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: