Friday, October 15, 2010

Charlotte Oktoberfest | davem photography

I remember how I used this event as an exercise last year and thought I would do it again.  The idea is to keep it simple and only shot with a 50 mm lens. So all zooming in and out would be done with my feet.

If you ever want to approach strangers and ask to take their picture, an event that is centered around sampling of adult beverages, makes it an easy exercise to accomplish.

All the images were shot at ƒ/2.2 & ISO 100 and camera was set to Aperture Priority mode, allowing the camera to select the shutter speed for proper exposure.
I love shooting with wide aperture for these type of events. As a photographer, you make a conscious decision what you want communicate to the viewer. When a specific spot is in focus and everything else is soft, it's easy to see what the photographer wanted to show the viewer.

As I walked from booth to booth sampling some of the best micro brewed beverages, I was able to capture images from individuals filling my little sampling glass. Here are a few from the day.





Another reason to bring a camera with you is to record you sampling choices. With so many to sample, it would be difficult to remember what you sampled at the end of the day.





Because the crowd is so friendly, strangers will ask you to take their picture for the simple reason that you have a nice camera.

Despite the heat, we had great weather. As we walked out of fairgrounds, I looked over and noticed the setting sun.


A nice end to a great day with friends while developing my taste buds for some fine adult beverages.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: