Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mad Scientist Birthday Party

Last weekend I photographed a birthday party for a 5 year old. As you can see, science was the theme.
2009_1024_XanderBday-216

Originally the party was going to be done outdoors, but temps were a little cooler than expected so it was brought indoors. This created a bit of a challenge to photograph.

I started with out with my 50mm f/1.8 and was going to shoot available light at ISO 800. The problem in shooting with this lens in a small room is not being able to capture wide shots. I love this next shot because of the shallow depth of field (color looks great too), but it wasn't going to work in capturing the event.
2009_1024_XanderBday-13

The party started with the kids building structures out of marshmallows and toothpicks.
2009_1024_XanderBday-14
2009_1024_XanderBday-28
2009_1024_XanderBday-42

Here's a picture of the birthday boy.  Doesn't that look like a boy who's having a great time at his birthday party? Then again, it could be all the sugar.
2009_1024_XanderBday-38

I switched out my 50mm for my 18-55mm zoom lens and my flash. I shot at ISO 400 and f/5.6 - f/9.0 while indoors and up to f/13 outdoors. Flash was set at 1/2 power with a bounce diffuser. I set the flash to 1/2 power for quicker recycle times and adjusted aperture for proper exposure.

The main attraction was the Bob from Club Scientific. He provided simple science experiments, allowing the kids to make their own Silly Putty out of glue, water & borax. First he provided the kids with a simple explanation of propulsion using balloons.
2009_1024_XanderBday-86

The party then moved back inside for some more interesting experiments. This one included Dry Ice and was probably the most entertaining for the kids.
2009_1024_XanderBday-221
2009_1024_XanderBday-223

I know the kids had a blast, because even the adults were entertained.

I'm really happy with the images I captured. I happy with the performance of my 18-55mm lens. It's sharper than I expected. Even though the party was indoors and in a smaller area, I was able to adapt, adjust for the lighting and capture some great moments.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: