Monday, January 31, 2011

On Assignment : Geyer Family Session

I was contacted to do a family session because of my work on the HFE Rise & Run. Stephanie wanted a family session for her holiday cards, but mainly just images of her girls, Ella & Grace.
We scheduled the session for a Saturday morning at the school, since there was a playground and Ella was currently enrolled at the school and Grace used to be a student there before going to middle school. The main gate to the elementary school was closed, but we gained access through some paths from the other school right next door that was open.


I normally use a strobe for most of my sessions, but this one was mostly natural light. This first setup was the only time I setup a strobe.


I wasn't crazy about the brick wall as a backdrop, luckily this school has several playground areas, not to mention we had the beautiful fall colors to work with. The sun was behind the tree, which really brought out the colors and vibrancy to the leaves.


I shot these with my 50 mm ƒ/1.8 @ ƒ/2.5 giving me a nice soft background and enough depth of field to get all three of them in focus.

I got some really nice candid moments between Ella & Grace. They were very playful with each other and like siblings even pushing each other around a bit. It was these images that displayed some nice moments and showed their affection towards each other.


Next, we moved to the larger playground. As a photographer, I like playgrounds as much as the kids do. It gives me an opportunity to climb onto the structures and shoot from other angles and try something different. I also think some of the active shots shows some of their personality.



This last image was a fun one. The platform spins around and it was difficult to keep it steady for a shot. It had us all laughing.

Fall is one of my favorite times to shoot. The colors are incredible and provide such a great background. It's too bad the fall colors don't last long. My next post is another fall session and I really love how that background turned out. Stay tuned.


If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: