Monday, February 7, 2011

On Assignment : Bruce Family Session

This fall family session also came about from the HFE Rise & Run. Actually, it was Kim that got me connected with the school in the first place. I also used to work with Eric a couple years ago, so I know the family and was happy to shoot a family session with them.
I lucked out with the fall colors. We timed this perfectly (mid-November). This was the first time I've done a session here, but had previously scouted this location and was glad I remembered it and one I plan on using again this spring. So where is this place?


This is Life University, located in Marietta, just north of Atlanta. I checked this location out last spring and really liked it and thought there was a lot of potential for some really nice portraits. I think you'll agree that this is a great location and the fall colors were perfect.



This area of campus has a small pond and a walking bridge. The rocks along the pond made for a nice sitting area.

Kim wanted a nice brother & sister shot holding hands. We set this up along the bridge. I guess at this age, an older brother doesn't like holding his little sister's hand. I was lucky enough to grab this quick shot before he let go.

We then moved over to the trail area that had some amazing colors. There are also these old buildings and mill near the river.

These next shots are some of my favorite from the day.



The kids wanted to play with the leaves and I promised them that if they were still long enough for me to take a picture, they could throw them up in the air and I would grab a picture of the leaves falling.

Of course I had to do individual shots of them throwing leaves. I love the first shot in each in these series.




I only used 1 strobe with a 60" reflective umbrella. The light is really soft and I was able to balance the background (ambient light) with the strobe pretty well. Between the fall colors and lighting conditions, it looks like it was shot in a studio with an artificial background. I also like how the kids are holding the leaves and using the environment for props.

This was my last family session shoot for 2010 and it was one of my favorites of the year.


If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: