Friday, September 18, 2009

Updated & Redesign Site is now Online!

It's been in the works for a couple of weeks, but it's finally up.
dmp-website

I originally created the site in Flash, because I thought it would be easier to update images and tweak the code if I added additional images. Working with HTML, not only would I be working with image files, but also HTML files and managing several links. I also thought that almost everyone has the Flash plug-in installed on their computer. So I went only with Flash for the original site.

Recently I decided to update my portfolio and it eventually led to a redesign. I wanted a more clean & simple look. I also wanted the images to be larger, a goal that I incorporated into the blog as well. It would have been up 2 weeks ago, but I was reminded that the iPhone doesn't support Flash. My friend Brandi, whose picture I took a several weeks ago with her husband, emailed me and explained how she was trying to show my portfolio on her iPhone and wouldn't show up. That pretty much made up my mind to do an HTML version of the site. It took me a bit of time to work out the details, but the HTML version looks exactly like the Flash version and based on my tests, they load at almost the same speed. If you've got broadband service, it'll load quickly. I even tested the HTML site on my iPhone and over WiFi, the site loaded quickly.

A couple of years ago no one would have thought about surfing the internet on a cell phone, at least not with the ability to view full graphics. With faster wireless connections (Wi-Fi & 3G), a lot of people are using their smart phone to search the internet. Not being able to support Flash, leaves these individuals without access to your work and they'll move on, maybe never going back to your site when they get to a desktop computer. Something to think about if your site is only Flash based.

I hope you like the redesign. Please let me know if something doesn't work or look right. I'd also like to thank the couples that I took pictures of last month. Your images are included in my portfolio and please keep me in mind the next time you or someone you know is looking for a photographer.

If you're looking for a portrait photographer in the Atlanta area, visit my portfolio.

No comments: